It’s National Recycling Week!
This year, National Recycling Week explores the theme of “waste isn’t waste until it’s wasted”. That is, how we can play our part to give items a second life.
National recycling week was established by Planet Ark in 1996, and is held every year during the second week of November, with the aim to educate and empower Australian’s to do the right thing when they’re at the bin. Reducing our waste not only keeps materials out of landfill, but also benefits the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
We know the healthcare industry is one of the leading sectors of waste production, which was further compounded by the Covid pandemic. It’s also estimated that Australians generate 2.5 million tonnes of plastic waste per annum, with only 9% sent for recycling.
At Dsmile, it is our mission to reduce the environmental impact that the dental industry has on our planet. We’re striving to ensure as much of our kit as possible can be placed in your recycling bin. We know recycling can be confusing, so we are working hard to do all the hard work for you.
Our motto of “reduce, reuse, recycle” could not be more fitting of this year’s theme.
- By using Dsmile, you are reducing the use of single use plastics.
- Our entire product line has been developed to avoid unnecessary components and to minimise waste. This makes Dsmile kits smaller and lighter, decreasing freight volumes and transportation emissions, thus leaving a smaller footprint.
- Our replaceable toothbrush heads reduce waste by 70% each year compared to regular supermarket toothbrushes.
- Our mouthwash concentrate is equivalent to 6 x 250mL supermarket mouthwash bottles.
- Our refill kits are created and packaged using the minimum materials required, with the precise amount of product to last 3 more months.
- By reducing the amount of materials used to fabricate our products, means that less waste is produced.
- We also educate our Dsmile users on using just the right amount of toothpaste, floss and mouthwash concentrate, which again helps reduce waste.
- We partner with 100% carbon-neutral courier services for all of our deliveries.
- 70% of Dsmile products can be reused.
- This includes our reusable toothbrush handle, mouthwash bottle, floss dispenser and bespoke dish.
- Our products are designed to not only be beautiful, but also durable and long lasting, standing up to the rigours of everyday use for years when cared for properly. A simple wipe down under warm soapy water every week is all it takes.
- We are striving to ensure as much of our kit can be placed in your recycling bin.
- Our products and packaging are made with recyclable materials.
We are constantly striving to improve our products, packaging and processes to ensure we are doing everything to minimise our impact on the environment.
“Engaging Australians on the importance of closing the recycling loop by buying products made with recycled content is also key to creating a sustainable future. We need to rethink our waste and see it as a resource that can be turned into new products. By keeping these materials in circulation for as long as possible, this benefits the environment by reducing the extraction of virgin materials for new products, as well as the water and energy it takes to make them” – Planet Ark (2022)
Recycle week gives us the opportunity to think about not just how we can recycle more effectively, but also how we can use our purchasing power to make decisions that are better for the environment. When it comes to dental health, you don't have to compromise your health or that if the planet. We’re here to inspire everyone to use less, and recycle. It’s all about little changes to make a big impact.